Monday, November 24, 2008

Dress Up

Carrie: I just love Sleeping Beauty! The music, the sets, the costumes. It's so romantic!

Stanford: You only like it because she sleeps for a hundred years and doesn't age.”

-SATC

I don't know if you know...but..the Costume Museum of Canada exists! In Winnipeg! I can't believe how many people I've told about this and it all formed while I was away the past two years. Get with it! My first trip to the museum took place almost immediately upon my return to the city. Fabulous hats and shoes galore! They even have a Narnia wardrobe where you can TRY ON some of the goodies. On display were some wedding dresses from years gone by, as well as an exhibit titled Interwoven, which is a whole bunch of International textiles donated by the U of M. Some fascinating pieces!

I swear I don't just like it because I'm all caught up with fashion history...anyone could appreciate the museum. What else is fabulous is their little non-lending library, which is stacked to the nuts with periodicals, books, sewing patterns, etc from 1900 until now! We're talking ancient Vogue and Harpers, girls!! It doesn't even matter that you can't actually sign out any of the books because you can curl up onto the little vintage couch and read the day away...

In addition to the library, there is a shop in the front entrance which features some clothing and crafts by some local designers, as well as a few vintage finds. I picked myself up a Schiaparelli scarf for a meager ten bucks!!

Join their Facebook group, and go to the Wrap Me Up Craft Sale they are having this weekend!

Deets: Saturday, November 29, 11am-5pm, Sunday, November 30, 12pm-4pm at 109 Pacfic Avenue. Locally made crafts, admission only $3.50, and maybe some goodies?

Do it. What else do you have to do?

♥ S

No comments: